Thursday, September 03, 2009

Truman Show

Why the hell would somebody make a movie about my life and call it the "True Man" show? Tick Tock Tick Tock ... And the fake world keeps turning, and the True Man waits for some kind of sign, or some kind of indication that he's fully committed to reality and fully uncommitted, therefore, to unreality. And if it is his chance at full illumination in this lifetime, then why does he feel (like the Father CRC in the "Chemical Marriage"?) so undeserving?

And the True Man says, "Mr., you're going to the top of this mountain, broken legs and all." I found part 3 -- where Lauren (Isis) says "It's just a show Truman!" -- to be very moving; it reminded me of The Slumdog Millionaire, when the game show host (i.e., the Demiurgus) yells "It's my show!" The entire movie (like parts 5 and 7), however, is -- I humbly offer -- worth seeing many times -- in spite of the "predictive programming" aspect of the film (your life on camera, no privacy), it is still about as profound as cinema can get. Part 8 is perhaps where I'm at right now -- weathering the damn storm. That's a pretty bold statement -- the courage it takes to break from unreality takes about 1000 lifetimes to muster. Am I there yet? I would have to be more self-assured than I am to assume so. Maybe somewhere between part 5 and part 8.

Part 9, the "Creator" (again, the Demiurgus) says "Listen Truman, there's no more truth in the world out there than in the world I created for you." That's the giveaway line of the whole movie.

No comments: